Wednesday 19 March 2008

Glamour of Melbourne...

Melbourne is famous for shopping and today we have purchased the most glamorous item of all - self inflating pillows! Yes Jane, you were right, there is room on the bike for pillows and we just can not do without them!

We are just over a week into the trip now and other than a few stiff muscles from the camping and a few bike niggles all is well. Great Otway National Park was beautiful, thanks to my inability to read a map, we camped amongst the ferns next to the river in a remote spot - wasn't the planned destination but a beautiful one! The road down was steep, gravel and windy - Tille is now a fully fledged dirt bike rider. We stopped over night in Torquay (thanks to Christie and Kristen for the hospitality) and caught up with the worlds best surfers at the Rip Curl Pro - I am SURE that at some point we were standing right next to someone famous.

For the next few days we're in Melbourne - soaking up the city life, eating, shopping and going to the MCG to see Carlton v Richmond - when in melbourne - do as they do and get into sport!

Last thought - have been considering the colour brown over the last few days as I gaze out through my helmet. As a kid we had a brown car, which for some reason was very embarassing (?) and then much to my dismay- mum and dad bought another brown car - 2 brown cars! As a teenager I thought the Australian country side was just boring brown and an english teacher I disliked always wore these brown fleck trousers that in my family are known as 'potato and gravy'. But I think finally on this trip as we cruise along, I am going to come to terms with the beauty of not just this country but also the colour brown - perhaps it is like sharp cheese or strong wine, something you grow a taste for as you age... ...

Sorry - still no photos, forgot the cord, will upload some soon. xxxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great...pity about the Diva. Can you threaten to cut her allowance? Have fun out there! nickx

Anonymous said...

Very impressed with the compactness of your pack - I can't spy any heels! Sounds wonderful, look forward to more tales of 'brown' and pics
Lex xx